Keeping Your Hand (Foot, Spleen) In It Poetry Workshop
Thursday, July 30, 2009: Week Four
- Announcements: August Postcard Fest, SPLAB! re-opening soon, Students Reading.
- Thoughts, Questions, Comments about last week or the Assignment. Who wants to read their poems?
§ Read Charles Olson Sun (from Maximus Poems).
§ 1st Exercise: Cover Poem: (handout) (Add Kozer and Homophonic Options.)
§ 2nd Exercise: Pantoum (Handbook of Poetic Forms)
§ McClure sound on Projective Verse.
§ 3rd Exercise: Epistle (Handbook of Poetic Forms)
- 4th Exercise: Postcard Exercise: (handout)
- 5th exercise: Class Evaluations. (Handout)
- Homework Assignment: (The Artist’s Way, Carol translates Duino Elegies and compares her finished translation with Robert Hunter’s translation AFTER she finishes; Shankar writes 99 Blues Choruses; everyone signs up to do postcards & other ways of keeping your hand in it, such as Ed Sanders (read) and Joanne Kyger’s book on Blavatsky)
- Also, begin to think about that project that will define you as a poet. If you still want a private session, I am available through the end of August. Sundays are good, after Noon. Please email or call 206.422.5002.
- Discussion? (One week class in the Fall Investigative Poetry. A proposed 6 week class The Personal Mythology of Organic Poetry) proposed for Winter '10.